College Overview

Historical Development

The College of Dentistry was established in 1953 with the mission of graduating dentists equipped with a strong foundation in both theoretical knowledge and clinical practice. The College opened in the autumn of 1953 as part of the College of Medicine and adopted a five-year curriculum comparable to those of leading dental institutions worldwide.

1953

Establishment of the College

The College commenced its academic activities in the autumn of 1953 under the supervision of the College of Medicine. Its educational programme was designed as a five-year course of study intended to meet internationally recognised standards in dental education.

1954

Opening of the Orthodontic Department

Academic development progressed steadily, and the Orthodontic Department was established in 1954. During this period, the teaching staff included a number of international dental academics, among them Dr Mahmoud Shah, Dr Barrett, Dr Kemp, Dr Stevens, and Dr Smenges.

1956

Integration into the University of Baghdad

Following the establishment of the University of Baghdad in 1956, the College of Dentistry became one of its constituent colleges and continued to develop within the University's academic and administrative structure.

Early Years

Initial Facilities and Student Intake

In its early years, the College occupied two buildings. One building contained four dental units and a laboratory, while the second was allocated for administrative purposes. The first student cohort consisted of 10 female students and 28 male students. Teaching was initially undertaken by members of the College of Medicine, together with Dr Ali Nasser.

1957

Academic Independence and First Graduating Class

In 1957, the College became administratively independent from the College of Medicine. In the same year, its first graduating class completed their studies, comprising 21 dentists. In the years that followed, graduates were regularly sponsored to pursue postgraduate training abroad, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States.

1958

Expansion of the Academic Staff

In 1958, Dr E. J. Barrett became Dean of the College. During this period, a growing number of Iraqi dentists who had completed advanced studies abroad joined the academic staff, including Dr Ahmed Othman, Dr Anwar Othman, Dr Hussain Ismail, Dr Aladdin Al-Rubayi, and Dr Yehya Al-Nashe. They were joined by specialists such as Dr Fadhil Al-Qudsi and Dr Aziz Rhaemo, as well as international academics in oral surgery, conservative dentistry, orthodontics, and dental laboratory sciences.

1963–1965

Growth of the Iraqi Academic Leadership

Dr Fadhil Al-Qudsi became Dean of the College in 1963. Iraqi dentists gradually assumed the academic roles previously held by international staff. Among the prominent members of this generation was Dr Khalid B. Mirza, who became the first Iraqi dentist to obtain the Fellowship in Dental Surgery from the United Kingdom in 1965.

The College Today

The College currently occupies two principal buildings: the original academic building and the teaching hospital. The teaching hospital contains approximately 400 dental units and provides comprehensive dental care to a large number of patients each day, while also serving as the principal clinical training environment for undergraduate and postgraduate students.

1953 Year of Establishment
5 Years Original Academic Programme
Approx. 400 Dental Units
Up to 1,000 Patients Served Daily

Since its establishment, the College of Dentistry has continued to advance its academic programmes, clinical services, and postgraduate education, while maintaining its commitment to excellence in dental education, scientific research, and community service.

Comments are disabled.